Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 25, 2011

India Through My Eyes - 2nd stop Aurovalley Ashram

Hi All,

It's that time again where I sit down and start writing about the next chapter of my journey in India. In this segment I will talk about our stay at Aurovalley Ashram in Uttrakhand.

Aurovalley is located in the state of Uttrakhand, in the North part of India, between the sacred cities of Rishikesh and Haridwar, at the beginning of the Valley, where the Holy Ganges meets the plains. Aurovalley has its stretch of land at the foothills of the Himalayas, bordering the Shivalik forest, inside village Raiwala.

Once we left Rishikesh it was only about an hour or so to Aurovalley, it was a hectic drive, very small roads and laneways to this hidden sanctuary.  We eventually found the ashram, and when we pulled in we were greeted by absolute peace and quiet. The only thing you could hear were the sounds of birds chirping it was music to my ears and silence I was excited to observe. We hopped out of our tour bus, and I couldn't help but notice the vibrant colours of flowers, the gardening was gorgeous. The Mango trees were just starting to bloom, and other type of flowers were in bloom, it was a beautiful site.


A couple of volunteers showed us around, and took us to our rooms, I shared a room with Janice and Carol, it was a large room, it could actually sleep 7, but there was only the 3 of us sharing the room, so it wasn't too bad at all. The ladies were a treat to bunk with, I felt like I was traveling with the female version of Indiana Jones. You couldn't help listening to their stories and adventures, their wisdom and knowledge just about life was so endearing, they always made me feel safe and protected. The first day we arrived there, shortly after we got settled a little gecko made his appearance right beside my bed, and I was a little taken a back, and they settled me right down, and kept me at ease about everything. 






We stayed at Aurovalley for a few days, and it was a nice relaxing time. It was a beautiful place for meditation and yoga. Each morning they were conducting Yoga in the Yoga Hall, and Meditation was done in the Mediation Hall. The grounds were so large, each area had it's own building. The first day we arrived at Aurovalley, they had belly dancing in the Yoga Hall, and I thought why not try it. I went and was pleasantly surprised how easy I was able to follow. I normally don't have the greatest co-ordination, but I followed just fine and I really enjoyed it. Throughout the trip I was trying to get into a Meditative state but I was really struggling. I was clearly missing out on something, and I put in every effort to give it an honest try. Each day I headed to the Meditation Hall for silence, and then the session closes with Mantra's. It was a great moment, the second day I was able to get in a meditative state. I battle with an overactive mind and insomnia and I heard meditation is a great way to shut your brain off, and be in the moment. So once I was able to shut it all off, it was amazing, for the first time ever I did not have chatter brain.


The Meditation Hall

The founders of Aurovalley

The path to the Meditation Hall

The Yoga Hall


It was an open schedule, it was not mandatory that you attend the classes/sessions, it was optional. I attended a few Meditation Classes, Satsang, Karma Yoga (Giving Back) and the Belly Dancing. I didn't do the Yoga, it was so early in the morning, and I was feeling a little tired so I decided to pass on the Yoga classes. I would wake up in the morning head for breakfast with the group and then off to do my own thing. There were many areas on the grounds that you could hide away and do your thing. I liked heading to the swing with my IPOD and listening to my music, the one song I tended to listen to over and over again is by Celine Dion, "Because You Loved Me", that song really resonated with me, it is how I feel about my husband. He has been so incredibly supportive and encouraging, and I wouldn't be where I am today without him. There was another spot I liked to head to each day, the hammock, so there I would lie and listen to my music, reflect and appreciate my time alone. 


Oh how I loved the hammock

The sign that appeared right across from the hammock
Karma Yoga - Giving Back
The lumps on the tree, are bees nest (Bees were everywhere)

The swing I sat on daily to listen to my music and reflect
Above in one of the pictures you will see the bee hives hanging off the trees, these were the biggest bee hives I've ever seen, they were huge, and bees were everywhere. Anyone who knows me, knows my absolute terror of bees. At times you could see me running like a little school girl, At one point I looked up from the hammock I would lay in each day, and there were more massive bee hives, so needless to say I booked out of there real quick! Anyways, carrying on with my story LOL, we stayed here for a few days, and on the second day, children had been bused in from a neighbouring town for a field trip. You can see and hear the children playing, their sounds of laughter could be heard throughout the entire grounds, it was music to my ears. I would take a walk to the back of the grounds, and watch the children play on a few pieces of play equipment. Also,  in the play yard, they had the Ashrams cows there as well, they look at them as their pets, and are treated as such. I really enjoyed watching the simplicity of it all, and watched each child and wonder what kind of life they lived. Some of these children were from orphanages, and still look so happy. They looked over and smiled, no cares in the world, or at least it seemed. I just loved looking at their beautiful little faces. 





Also during the 2nd day, we sat in on a satsang, where people just asked questions, I was enlightened with the words from Swami Brahmdev. At times there were many questions, and at times we sat in silence. I found it interesting, questions were being asked that I wondered myself. After the satsang, our group was asked to go speak to Swami directly, and the question I asked was, "how do I find my spiritual direction, how do I know". His words were simple, just let it happen, when you are ready, it will happen. After Kevin (my husband) found his direction, I was hoping my trip to India would bring some clarity, but it didn't work that way, I now know it is a work in progress. I have to open my heart, and just let it happen, I am working towards my spirituality each day, and I know in time that I will allow myself to feel it. 

The group with Swami Brahmdev
 We said goodbye to Gino, and Franca they are leaving to do their own thing in other parts of India, it was great spending time with them, especially my little compadre Franca. Ever, Christian, and Gino flew to Delhi for a game of cricket, and the ladies stayed back and enjoyed the Ashram. Here we say goodbye, safe travels and we will catch you on the flip side. Great times in India March 2011!

 
Amit, Franca, Christian, Gino

The catch phrase for India 2011 "Paddle Forward Team" (Let's Go)


Next Stop...Tripura Ashram in Haridwar India....

Namaste,
Shelley

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Shelley, just beautiful. Makes me wish I were there in Aurovalley again. One regret, I wish we stayed there a little longer. Hmmm...next time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing experience for you and so beautifully shared here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Shelley

    one of my friend is going to visit Aurovalley ashram for 3 days. As she is going alone is it safe for girls to stay there alone. Need your advise.

    Thanks

    Sunny

    ReplyDelete